A good friend has told me that it is sunnah to fast on the 9th and 10th or 10th and 11th of Muharram 1434H (13th and 14th of November or 14th and 15th of November 2013.)
I was embarrassed asking for the reason for all this, so I did my research. And here is what I found out.
Muharram is the first month of the Islamic year. It is the month of Allah. This is a month were we should always remember and be very thankful to Allah. On the 10th of Muharram (14th of November), we remember how Allah saved the children of Israel and Musa (Moses) from their enemies. It has been said that the Jews fast on the 10th of Muharram to commemorate and thank Allah for this significant event. To differentiate us Muslims from the Jews, we fast on the 9th and 10th or 10th and 11th of Muharram remembering Musa and his people, and thank Allah for his many blessings.
To know more about the day of Ashura, watch these videos below.
- Fasting the Day of ‘Ashura’ (halimadjimrao.wordpress.com)
- What is Ashura (incarcerated786.wordpress.com)
- The Day of ‘Ashura (heavenlyhayaa.wordpress.com)
- The Best way to Fast the Day of Aashoora (10th Muharram) – Explained by Shaykh Fawzan (salaf-us-saalih.com)
- Fast of Aashura, and when? (yassarnalquran.wordpress.com)
- The Month of Muharram (9,10, & 11 Muharram 1435) (muslimtransformers.wordpress.com)